Tuesday 1 June 2010

Butternut Squash...



Last weekend we had a trip to Sweden. We drove across the Oresund bridge and spent the day exploring Malmö, wandering around the old squares and then a quick stop for lunch - real Swedish Meatballs (and mashed potato and lingonberry jam - not from Ikea either!) Then we spent a very exciting afternoon in the supermarket. It was a real novelty to have a big choice of products to choose from again, with the additional plus that it's quite a lot cheaper than Denmark, so worth the occasional jaunt. One of the things I coveted was a Mas Pumpa (sounds like a description of my son in the morning!), aka a butternut squash. Strange the things you miss, but this is indeed one of them! You can get them here, I saw them once in Magasin once (owned by Selfridges, need I say more?) but they are few and far between. This particular Mas Pumpa has been roasted and is on it's way to becoming butternut squash soup for my sister and her partner who are due to arrive any second for a week's visit (Cut a medium/large butternut squash in half, de-seed it, dot with butter and salt and pepper and roast for an hour. Add 350g new potatoes to 2 pints of vegetable stock and simmer until tender. Allow squash to cool, add scooped out flesh to stock and potatoes. Puree, stir in 100ml single cream, heat through & serve!). I can't wait to see them, they haven't been for seven months and this time they are bringing their new addition (hence the reason it's been seven months)! My only hope is that the weather cheers up for them. I am going to get the winter tyres taken off (the car, not me unfortunately - how I wish life was that simple!) on Friday, but I am beginning to wonder if there is much point. Will post again when I get the chance...

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love your comments - thank you :)

 
Free Hit Counter