Wednesday 13 July 2011

Travel According to Us

Travel is one of our great loves. In the past we have been fortunate enough to visit some amazing places, but our ability to do as much travelling as we would like has obviously diminished since having children. This lead to our eagerness to experience travel in a slightly different way - by living abroad to experience different lifestyles and cultures instead, and to endeavour to explore as much of a country and the surrounding areas as possible in the given timeframe.


This photograph was taken at Heathrow on the morning of our departure from England. We had said our goodbyes, and all of our earthly possessions had already begun their journey ahead of us! It's funny looking back at that strange morning. None of us knew what lay ahead, and whether we had done the right thing by uprooting the children and leaving our comfortable British life behind (they look really tiny and a bit non-plussed about it all, and my son's hair is hilarious!)! It's hard to believe that two years has almost passed, and we will soon be at another airport about to embark on another country and another chapter of our version of travelling. Gulp.

19 comments:

  1. You are building such great memories for your children and for that I salute you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! I just hope they don't hate us for it one day! :) Emma

    ReplyDelete
  3. What you are doing as a family sounds absolutely great, how exciting!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy travels, enjoy! Your children are so lucky to get to travel so young :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you both! They are indeed lucky Rachel, even if they don't know it yet!! Emma :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thankfully you have this blog to remind them of their travels. My son can't remember holidays from when he was little so we have to hunt out photos to jog his memory.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very good point! Will print it off and stick a copy of it somewhere for them... Thanks Trish, hope you are well! :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gulp indeed, but how exciting :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Children are so adaptable, so much more than adults that all will be fine on your next big adventure. Mnd you saying that i am dreading taking our boys back to NZ....

    ReplyDelete
  10. @Kellogsville - thank you, I hope so!! :)

    @Frankie - thank you, again I hope so! BUT does this mean you have made a decision then? Please reveal all!! :) PS. A friend of mine contacted me through FB this morning to ask if I personally knew you as she had found your blog through mine, and to tell you she loves it, it really makes her laugh!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a great photograph Emma, taken at such an important milestone in your life. Here's to more adventures for you all!

    ReplyDelete
  12. That photo speaks a million words doesn't it? they are oblivious to it all and just having breakfast.
    I love the fact you grab the opportunities that arise and it'll be such fun, so many new things to explore too.

    ReplyDelete
  13. @SAHMlovingit - Thank you - it makes me laugh looking back! I remember not being able to eat anything! :)

    @Mari - I think they were indeed oblivious, either that or half asleep! Sometimes it does seem exciting, at others I have to wonder what on earth we are doing!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks for stopping by my blog and leaving a sweet comment. Kids are so resilient and adapt to changes so quickly. They are lucky to have such a great opportunity to travel, learn another language, and explore other cultures!

    ReplyDelete
  15. and thank you for your lovely comment Lindsay! That's very true, they will be speaking Spanish before we know it! Emma :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. It is indeed a leap of faith, isn't it?

    As a little girl, I dreamed of living outside of the US and it took me until I was in my 30's to actually pull it off!

    I'm still overcome with anxiety from time to time, especially since I actually bought property here, but most days, I have an extreme feeling of peace and gratitude for the opportunity, even if my Danish still sucks after 14 months :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks for the lovely comment Sage, I really admire you for what your big move and how positive you have been about all your experiences so far! Emma :) PS. I bet your Danish is much better than mine after nearly 24 months!! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Exciting stuff, a new chapter for you all!

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments - thank you :)

 
Free Hit Counter