Sunday 2 October 2011

Suttetræ/Dummy Tree


Pictures of The Suttetræ (Dummy Tree) in Frederiksberg Have, something we had heard about, but not come across before today.  Apparently, once a child is too big for it's dummy here, it's tradition to go to a Suttetræ, so the child can give up their prized plugs in exchange for a present or some other form of blackmail!  I kind of felt sorry for the tree a little, covered with bags of plastic dummies hanging like brightly coloured grapes, it looked like some kind of giant fairground goldfish stall....


But it was interesting to see (traditions from other countries always fascinate me!), and very touching to witness a couple of tiny children bidding a brave farewell to their little plastic friends!  There are plenty of Suttræs to be found throughout Copenhagen apparently should you need one.  (By the way Emil, if mummy is reading this, then we saw your note!  The tree is looking after your old dummies very well!)

It got me thinking about how we managed to rid of them once and for all in our house.  I think the "Easter Bunny" took R's in exchange for a little brother, which I think was a great deal (not really, she got a scooter), and S very graciously wanted to post his to his then newborn Baby Cousin (I found them at the top of the kitchen cupboard the other day during a clear out!), and then instantly regretted his decision, and kept asking for them to be posted back.  He even interrogated Baby Cousin on his last visit as to whether he still had them or not.  Good job for me that at that point Baby Cousin couldn't actually talk or I would have had some explaining to do!

19 comments:

  1. I have to admit that i rush to your posts these days because I know that 'our' time in Denmark is coming to an end and I don't want to miss anything.
    My friends had a burial of her son's bottles with a private ceremony when she and he were ready to part with them. I just introduced a sippy cup and threw out the bottles when DD was at nursery. #badmummy

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that is sooo sweet! A great adventure for the little one and quite a spectacle for everyone else!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow that is a fascinating. I only had one baby with a dummy and when she was old enough to understand we buried her dummy in the garden so that the dummy fairy could come and get it and give it to another little girl who just happened to be a fairy.

    It worked - she loved fairies.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Midlife Single Mum.... aww thank you! I know, not long left, but I have a sparkly new blog in the pipeline for our next destination :) ps. I don't think you are a bad mummy at all for that! ;)

    @Five Go Blogging - so cute seeing tinies giving up their loot. They were taking it very seriously! :)

    Thanks Expat Wife. So nice to hear all these different tactics! :)



    The Expat Wife -

    ReplyDelete
  5. I remember reading in a guide book about the dummy tree but it was a little far out and the boys weren't as keen to go on a search for it as I was. So thanks for going on my behalf, Emma!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow that is a little bit surreal, it would be a bit strange if you happened upon them without knowing what it is for...

    ReplyDelete
  7. @Trish - you are more than welcome.... anything else you need to see before I go? :)

    @Frankie - it is surreal isn't it... Some parents had chucked them right to the very top of the tree as well so there was no chance the children could get them back! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Aww I am glad you saw it before you left and Emil will be chuffed his are still hanging there, but would take them back in an instant I am sure :-) Love Emil's Mummy x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow... I love traditions from other countries too, but I can't work out whether I find this one completely brilliant or completely horrible :S

    ReplyDelete
  10. We are due a visit to the dummy tree in the next year or so. What a truly great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  11. @Emil's Mummy - I think even S was hankering after his after a visit to the dummy tree! ;) xx

    @Frau Dietz - that's exactly how I felt about it. I liked it because of the tradition and the sentiment, I didn't like it because of the poor tree and when I was taking pictures, one of them smacked me in the face which was revolting... :)

    @Manana Mama - good luck! Let me know if you need a map!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. oh gosh, this must've been a sight! my daughter never had a dummy, but i remember the day we said goodbye to her bottle. we used a bin instead of a tree, but it was significant nonetheless :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks Pia..These milestones are significant aren't they, they seem to grow up so quickly! :( I just wonder how long they keep the dummies on the tree and whose job it is to take them off again! Emma

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow this looks great,I have never heard of this :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks Clairejustine! Neither had I until quite recently! :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Lovely idea if the kids readily give up their dummies to be strewn on the tree! Though I would be reluctant to walk under it in case of falling drool...

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks Maria, I did think of that when one of them hit me as I was walking under it! Better viewed from afar I think! :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is amazing! I have seen trees like this around Aarhus, but on a much smaller scale. What a great idea. When I was young, we had a little ceremony, and then I got to throw them out the car window while we were driving to Florida for a vacation haha. I guess my parents weren`t too concerned about littering.

    ReplyDelete
  19. @Lindsay, that made me laugh. Can't imagine that happening much nowadays! Emma :)

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments - thank you :)

 
Free Hit Counter